June 09, 2006

From Where We Have Come

My parents spent an enormous sum for a computer in 1983. They thought that it would be a good idea. It was a Microsoft PC Junior. Capable of moving words, producing BioRhythms, doing loan amortization... not much more. They stopped making software for it shortly thereafter. My parents were livid. I took the computer to college and a room mate stole the computer for money to buy drugs. A small insurance settlement was the best possible outcome, believe me.

In '95, the World Wide Web was news. Some predicted that the Info Super Highway would look like a dirt road in 10 years, to describe the momentum. We bought a $3,000 system with one gig ("Did you say giggle-byte??" I asked the Gateway salesperson). I taught myself HTML and jumped into the pool.

Looking back, I'm so grateful that vast information is available to the masses. If something newsworthy happens in the most remote places of our planet, it's published. It feels like the best Democratic tool that has ever been.

People You'd Never Meet Otherwise

Here are a few places I love. Merely finding them is a positive product of our Information Age. There is so much brilliance! A lot of bull**** too. ...Democracy.

The Woodring Monitor (Right: "Drowned Man's Colors" by Jim Woodring)
Zefrank.com (especially this page)
Improv Everywhere
Kyd Charlemagne (phenomenal travel photos, I'm in "Slovakia")

A Creative Source...

...should be kept guarded. So I've heard. My caution is to the wind. This has been one of my greatest sources of inspiration since I discovered it accidentally on a radio dial in Europe. Much more than music, which you can stream into your home - FM4, Vienna (Part English, part German language).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home